In the new regulation on The Telecommunication (Electronic Communication
Equipment Type Approval) Regulations of 2020, NATCOM announced changes to Labeling in the approval process.
Electronic Communication Equipment must carry a label in Sierra Leone issued by NATCOM as referenced in section 9 (1) of the regulation.
An electronic communications equipment that complies with the required technical conditions shall be affixed with a type approval label provided by the Commission.
According to section 9 (2) of the new regulation, every supplier, importer, distributor or seller shall, where applicable, ensure that equipment offered for sale or for private use is clearly affixed with the type approval label containing the following:
THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE LABELLING
- The logo of the commission,
- The product type /category; and
- A unique Type Approval Number
(2) Every supplier, importer, distributor or seller shall, where applicable, ensure that equipment offered for sale or for private use is clearly affixed with the type approval label containing the following-
(a) the logo of the Commission;
(b) the type of the equipment; and
(c) the alphanumeric identifications.
Where the equipment is small to be affixed a label
- such label shall be part of the operating software or program known as “Regulatory Certification”
- Or shall be part of the documentations of the equipment.
- TAN = Type Approval Number
- YYYY = Year of Certification (Four digits)
- PCN = Product Category Number (Three digits)
- UTAN = Unique Type Approval Number (Four digits)